Inspired by a dinner with the BFF’s at Blueacre Seafood a few months ago, I looked at our bounty of last-of-the-season crab this morning and imagined the perfect Dungeness Crab Roll. No recipe, but a fresh recollection of the deliciousness of the lobster roll at Blueacre, I put forth to create the perfect crab roll. One try, and I think I got it!
“Most delicious thing I’ve put in my mouth this summer!” – Ann Peavey
I took a ride out to Grand Central Bakery in search of their hot dog rolls. Those not-too-hard-not-too-soft buns seemed perfect for crab rolls. But alas, with the Labor Day weekend upon us, they were cleaned out. Their soft sandwich rolls, once scooped of their bready inner heft, ended up being just right. I toasted these rolls with just a slight slathering of butter and place the following crab spread on a bed of diced romaine lettuce:
- 1 handful of fresh-picked Dungeness crab meat per serving
- 8-10 quartered pear tomatos
- One-fourth of a red pepper – diced
- 1 tsp of tarragon
- 1/4 tsp of Old Bay seasoning
- A shake of cayenne pepper
- 4 Tbsp of mayo (in this case “lime mayo” from the Mexican grocery – because it’s all they had)
- Gently mix with a spatula until well incorporated. Nestle on the bed of romaine and enjoy. Add pepper to taste.